First Blog Post! - Getting Started

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

So far, I believe that I'm off to a good start in regards to actually sitting down and learning the languages at hand, which are three different forms of webcode - HTML, XHTML and CSS. If all goes well, by February 23rd I'll be able to actually create something, make it viewable, and be able to post a link or screenshot in my next blog post. This depends on my level of understanding, however, and my ability to find a host that will let me post something online for free.

My goals by the end of this period will be to have created something that will be looked at as a template for building a website that clearly shows my progress and demonstrates what I've learned. I want to be able to create something on a webpage, point it out in my source code, and explain the syntax of it. If I can't do that, then I haven't really achieved a true understanding of what I'm learning, and will have to go back to the books and try to comprehend exactly what I've accomplished. How will I measure this? With how my finished product actually looks. If something ends up looking good, that means that what I've done is correct. If I can re-create that product so that someone can use it for their own purposes, this means that I understand what I'm doing and am comfortable handing my work off to someone else. If the product does not look good, then I'll know that I have to go back and continue to work on different parts of my code until the end result is pleasing to the eye. 

My first book so far has been "HTML, XHTML and CSS for Dummies," and has been immensely helpful. The way that they explain concepts makes it seem so easy to grasp without being lost in the symbols, colors, and odd words that many programming languages use to communicate with the computer. Because of this, I know that anything that I create will be understandable from both an amateur and a professional point of view, and that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks for reading!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment